Fig 2 Deane Parade. Nos. 1 to 17 Deane Parade, extended from Abbotsbury Gardens to Deane Croft Road, covering what are now nos. 115 down to no. 83. Access to the flats above the shops was via two communal staircases and a balcony extending the full length of the parade, still in use today. The parade was built in 1935 and the first premises (nos. 1 to 7, 9 and 10) appeared in the 1936 edition of Kelly’s, with most of the remainder following in the 1937 edition. Original parade numbers and shops are shown below, with their current numbers in brackets; some were still there into the early 1970s. 1  was a newsagents run by Walter William Prangley but had been replaced by Douglas J. Farquharson in 1938 and by C. H. I. Stewart the following year. By 1954 A. V. Apps managed the premises (one of four such newsagents in Eastcote), continuing into the 1970s. Alexander Victor and his wife Vera lived above their shop at 1 Telcote Parade (now 257 Field End Road). 2  was the dairy, Robarts & Son. The Robarts family were living at 73 (previously Gleneagles) Field End Road in 1939. After the war, son Norman and his wife Moira were at the newly built 31 Field End Road, now on the site of Robarts Close. By 1954 the dairy had become the Rendezvous Café/Restaurant and, by 1959, the unfortunately named K.K.K. Cafe. By 1968/69 it was the short-lived Le-Sur Restaurant, becoming another restaurant, Velasquez, from 1970/71. Fig 4 Deane Parade Capitals. (© Google 2019) This figure shows the former/current architectural detail at 109,111 Field End Rd in the pilasters. From 1935 until 2019 there were more than a dozen stone console brackets on Deane Parade. These were changed to stepped brickwork or removed entirely in 2020). 3  was a chemists, managed by Henry Bishop. By 1954 it was called E. Moss and by 1966/67 Blanshards, run by Peter Raymond Blanshard. 4  was F. G. Barnes & Son, ironmongers; Frederick George Barnes, his wife Charlotte and son Albert initially lived in the flat above; in 1939 the parents resided at 10 Green Lawns. By 1954 the shop had expanded to take in no. 107. The firm was still there until 1970/71, after which it became Thomas of Eastcote, a hardware shop. 5  Garman (Eastcote) Ltd were radio dealers at this address; by 1938 it was called Gillett Electrical & Radio Ltd (proprietor John Gillett), although Arnold and Emily Gillatt are listed as occupying the flat above until 1951 (they were briefly at 48 Bridle Road after the war), before moving to 174 Field End Road. 6  was the United Kingdom Tea Co. shop, later the UK Tea Co. They were at these premises until 1966/67; Vernons, grocers, were briefly trading here in 1968/69. 7  was occupied by J. H. Dewhurst Ltd, butchers, until at least 1959. It was another butchers, Eastmans, in 1968/69. 8  was Foures, a bakers, run by Robert and Jemina Callander. Briefly living at 65 Elm Avenue, they moved to the flat above the shop in 1939. By 1954 it had become The Home Bakery and was still there in 1977. 9  is listed as a hairdressers, managed by Mrs. Ethel Kelly, until at least 1954; she lived in the flat above with her husband Thomas and daughter Cecilia, who was also a hairdresser. By 1958 the shop was called Fridkin Hair Fashions which was still trading there in 1977. 10  was initially both an outfitters, Arthur Reader, and drapers, run by Mrs Mary Wood; the drapers had disappeared the following year. From 1938 the shop was Cecil Keeley, outfitters, which lasted until the 1968/69. He and his wife Freda lived in the flat above. 11  was Cresta Cleaners Ltd., dyers and cleaners occupied this site; their telephone number was Pinner 3282. They were still there as late as 1972. 12  in 1938 was a short-lived gown shop, Ravenal, the proprietress being Mrs. G. Morris. By 1954 it was the Eastcote Printers, still there in 1977 and believed to be managed by Albert Cole. 13  was A C Garden Supplies, listed as a greengrocers, up to 1939. 13b [91a] is listed as Mrs. Doris Galley (wife of the local builder C. V. Galley), fancy wools; the following year it was called Frances, run jointly by Mrs. F. M. Bennett and Mrs. E. F. Jolly (who lived, respectively, at 13 and 38 Crescent Gardens). By 1954 there was a further change of name to Campbell Wools, which lasted until 1970/71, thereafter becoming Janes Fashions. 14-15 [89/87] was a double-fronted shop, the Watford Co-operative Society, there until 1968/69; it was replaced by A. E. A. Edwards Ltd., builders’ merchants. 14a [89a] is listed as the Home-Auto Cigarette Service Co., up to 1939. 16  was a builders merchants, Ernest Elderkin; Ernest and his wife, Doris, lived above the shop. By 1954 it had become Allison’s, fruiterer and grocer, Jenkins by 1966/67 and A. J. Vane, fruiterers, from 1970/71. 17  was a wine merchants, Harris & Son, later Harris & Son (Pinner) Ltd, (wines and spirits), until at least 1954. By 1958 it was called Kershaw & Cressey, becoming the Westminster Wine Co. from 1966/67. Fig 6 Station Approach (© Google 2019) extended from the footpath to the car park behind the shops to the corner of North View, covering what are now nos. 211 down to 199. They were originally listed as nos. 187 to 175 when they appeared in the 1936 edition of Kelly’s, suggesting there was a partial renumbering; they had changed to their current numbers by 1939. The electoral rolls show the first premises and some of the flats above were occupied from 1935. Original parade numbers and establishments are shown below, with their current numbers in brackets. Subsequent changes are listed, where known. Flats above the premises were numbered 3A to 8A. Σ 3  was occupied in 1935 by Arthur J. Hensey, estate agents. Arthur James and his wife Annie Elizabeth were living at ‘Wayside’, Preston Road at the time. By 1939 it had become Walker Allanson Ltd., house furnishers. In 1954 it is described as Allanson, Walker Ltd., furniture dealers, from 1966/67 furniture access and, from 1974, gift shop. Σ 4  was T. F. Nash, builders, but had become A. G. Developments Ltd the following year. Thomas Fred Nash was a well-known local builder, whose company was one of two which developed much of the Rayners Lane area. From 1935 to 1937, he and his wife Alice lived at 28 Bridle Road, now part of the Missouri Court complex. In 1954 two premises occupied the site – Harrisons Car Hire Service and Eastcote Leathercraft, fancy goods; these lasted until 1964/65. From 1968/69 Little Mischief, children’s wear, was the occupier. Σ 5  was initially the New Novel Library premises, but was renamed Alpha Libraries the following year; the proprietor was William Tabor Sanctuary, who was briefly living above the premises with his wife Margaret Irene Mansell in By 1939 half of the premises were Hinchcliffe and Co. Ltd., coal merchants. By 1954 the two shops were C. S. Bedford, jeweller, until 1968/69 (thereafter D. R. Boswell, and then Station Jewellers Eastcote from 1974) and Crispe, optician, subsequently W. L. Crispe, Ltd., a name that still lives on in 2018. 4 Σ 6  was Marcia, confectioners, whose proprietor is listed in Kelly’s as R. (or R. H.) Markes. Arthur Samuel and his wife Jeannie were living at 60 Pinner Park Avenue off Headstone Lane at the time. By 1939 it was called Freeman’s, whose proprietor A. J. Freeman is listed as Joseph Albert Freeman in the electoral rolls, and who occupied the flat above until after the war. In 1954 the shop was G. J. Young, confectioner and tobacconist, a name that also lives on in 2018. Gilbert James and his wife Amelia Edith (neé Kear) lived above the shop at no. 205A from 1947/48 until 1958, as did their married daughter Amelia M. and Eric S. Rhymer. Gilbert had an elder brother Frederick George, whose son was Ronald Leslie Young, better known as singer and Radio 2 presenter Jimmy Young. Jimmy and his wife Vera (neé Wilkinson) are shown as occupying the flat above no. 203A in 1947. Gilbert and Frederick’s widowed mother was also at no. 205A in 1947. Quite a family gathering! Σ 7  was Ethel, a hairdressers, whose proprietor was David Gorman. David Allison Frew and his wife Ethel Emily lived at 46 Lowlands Road. In 1954 the shop was called Hilda, continuing as such until 1968/69; thereafter, the premises became the estate agents Chamberlain & Bickerton. Σ 8  was William Noble, a drapers, subsequently W. Noble and Son from at least 1954 until 1964/65. William and Elsie Norah Noble lived at 22 Corringham Road, Wembley Park when the shop first opened, moving to 18/22 Springfield Road, Harrow the following year. From 1966/67 the premises was Laurie Ridley, still there in 1977. Fig 8 Station Approach North corner (© Google 2019) Formerly Barclays Bank Σ –  was Barclays Bank Ltd, the manager of which was V. E. L. Jones. The flat above was initially called Bank House, subsequently Barclay’s Bank House. Barclays holds the record for the longest continuous tenure in a single premises in the shopping centre and finally closed for business after 8th June this year. (Boots opened at about the same time in Deane Parade but has since expanded to cover two shop fronts, nos. 169 and 171).
Fig 10 Queens Parade Name Stone. (© Google 2019) Situated on the the South West corner of the Field End Road-North View crossroads, this appears to be the only name stone of its type. RNELHS Journal 1998 says Station Approach was built after 1935 by T F Nash between North View and the station terminating at the footpath to the car park. Queen’s Parade opposite was built about the same time…..
Fig 11 Queens Parade – stylised
Fig 13 Abbotsbury Parade. (© Google 2019) Woolworths today in Eastcote now Tesco Express. The original Woolworths at 149 Field End Rd Eastcote can be seen at Historic England shopping-parades in section ‘Lotery and the inter-war years’. Next door at 151 was the tobacconist Finaly & Co Ltd seen here in 1937 at buildingourpast. It is now Holland&Barratt.
Fig 14 Abbotsbury Parade. (© Google 2012) A shopfront over 5 bays in Eastcote . Budgens at 129 Field End Rd retained a modular fascia allowing Edward Lotery’s upper floor design to filter into the ground floor via the pilasters and capitals. The shopwindow displays maintained an active street scene and passive surveillance – sought after features in modern day borough shopfront planning guidance